Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 6, Assignment 1

        I think perhaps in the last few years of my education, I see plagiarism becoming a more serious issue, as more instructors seem to make it a point to advocate against it. I recall in earlier years, it was often easily overlooked if a student plagiarized, whereas now it has become a much more serious matter that comes with dire consequences, even expulsion. In reading this week’s readings and tutorials, a new light was shed on the topic of plagiarism. I had no clue that ideas had to be cited. I thought so long as you paraphrased, citing was unnecessary.
        However, that is not the case and I know now to reference even ideas, whether they are in my own words or not. This information will undoubtedly save me in the future when writing papers, as I could have been penalized for making the small error of not crediting another person’s ideas. The only uncertainty I have regarding academic integrity and plagiarism is that I imagine it would be difficult at times to produce original ideas in a world where it seems nothing is original, and every thought has been thought before. Although I suppose that’s an entirely different matter altogether. 


No comments:

Post a Comment